Sunday, December 14, 2008

Uncle Tommy?

So I'm making my way through the Kansas City Airport about 10 days ago. Just minding my own business, trying to catch an early flight back home.

As I get ready to go through the security line, I notice the guy in front of me in line is quite the talker. He's chatting - or at least trying to - with the guy in front of him. Yours truly, not exactly looking for new friends at this point of my trip, decides to change lines before he turns around and starts talking to me.

Once I get to the other line, I grab my gray basket and begin placing my items into it. As I go to remove my suit coat, I see him out of the corner of my eye. He's turned and is facing me and says, "Uncle Tommy?!" with an uncomfortable level of excitement in his voice.

I don't look.

"Uncle Tommy?! Is that you?!" he repeats, clearly taking steps toward me.

I'm forced to look this man in the face and give him the bad news that I'm not Uncle Tommy. Of course, once he sees my face clearly, he realizes I'm not Tommy. But I honestly can't tell you which one of us was more disappointed.

"Oh, sorry about that. You look exactly like my Uncle Tommy," he says. I simply raise my eyebrows and offer a less-than-amused smile.

And trust me, I wasn't amused.

You see, this man had to be at least 50 or 60 years old, which means his uncle would have to be at least that old, right? How old does he think I am? If he would've said I looked like his Uncle Tommy when he was a young man, then I would've been okay with everything. No, I look exactly like him. End of sentence.

Anyway, I've recovered from the initital shock of the situation. It's been 10 days, and I'm over it now. Just don't go calling me Uncle Tommy, especially if you are old enough to be my dad.

2 Comments:

At December 15, 2008 at 4:06 AM, Blogger Jill said...

I always thought you looked like a Tommy.

 
At December 15, 2008 at 4:54 PM, Blogger Seneca said...

I am literally rolling on the floor laughing. What a hilarious story.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home