Thursday, November 13, 2008

Goodbye Gumbel

I'm one of the apparent few who gets the NFL Network. When the NFL broadcasts one of its marquee matchups on the NFL Network - like tonight's clash between the Jets and Patriots - all I hear about on talk radio is how nobody will get to watch the game.

Guess that makes me a nobody. Some of you are probably wondering why it took a discussion of the NFL Network for me to figure that out. Keep those comments to yourself, will ya?

Anyway, this is the third year of the NFL Network experiment. Most of America seems to despise the idea, but I don't mind it so much.

At least now that Bryant Gumbel is gone, that is.

Bryant Gumbel, who served the previous two seasons as the network's play-by-play announcer, was easily the worst I've ever heard in that role. He single-handedly canceled out every reason to like the NFL Network. His partner, Chris Collingsworth, is truly one of the better color commentators in the business, but it was lost with Gumbel at his side.

This year, Gumbel has been replaced by a fella named Bob Papa. I've never heard of Bob Papa, and honestly, listening to him tonight is not exactly sending chills down my spine. He's very average.

Very average, however, is vast improvement over Bryant Gumbel.

Now if only everyone could watch it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home