Baby's first election night
As I watch my baby daughter sleep peacefully through all of the television coverage of tonight's Presidential election, two things come to mind:
1. Thank goodness this madness is over.
And, on a more serious note,
2. Little Abby has entered the world at an interesting time.
No matter who would have won this election, America is headed for tough times these next four years. It is my belief that McCain or Obama either one would go down as a "nobody" President when it is all said and done. The deck is just stacked against them.
And ironically the same could be said when I was a baby.
I was born in January 1974, with my first few months on Earth being the last few months of Richard Nixon's presidency. Of course, Nixon's reign came during a tumultuous time due to the Vietnam War. And his tenure was blemished due to the Water Gate scandal.
Abby was born in October 2008, with her first few months coinciding with George W. Bush's last few months in the Oval Office. Bush, of course, has faced all kinds of adversity due to the war in Iraq. And his approval ratings have bottomed out alongside the American economy.
Nixon was followed by Gerald Ford, who like Barack Hussein Obama took over while our country suffered from a depressed economy. I don't think Ford was a bad President, but my point is that I don't really know. My guess is Abby won't know the first thing about Obama's four-year stint either.
That's right, I said four-year stint.
Ford went on to win the Republican nomination for the Presidency in 1976, but he was defeated by Jimmy Carter. It remains to be seen whether Obama will win the Democratic nomination in 2012, but history says he won't be re-elected.

1 Comments:
Interesting observations!
Post a Comment
<< Home