Life on the road
I spent the last two days mostly driving. Took a trip into far northeastern Oklahoma. It was roughly five hours each way, so that equates to about 10 of the past 36 hours behind the wheel.
I have to drive quite a bit for work. And today, on the way back, it donned on me all of the little food-related habits I've formed while living on the road these past few years. Here's a few examples:
1. When traveling north on Highway 75, try to time your arrival in Calera, Okla., around a meal time. That way you can stop at Taco Casa and chow down on the tastiest Mexican fast food around. And wash it down with a sweet tea that is second to none. On my recently completed trip, I stopped there coming and going - for lunch at 11:15 AM on Tuesday and again for dinner at 6:15 PM on Wednesday.
2. Feeling a little tired behind the wheel? Drop by a convenient store and get a bag of sunflower seeds. Not sure if it's the sodium or the time-consuming effort you put into eating them, but these little bad boys seem to do the trick. I could drive from here to Tucumcari as long I've got my seeds. Of course the salt would eat a hole in my cheek, but that's another story.
3. If you head out to Stephenville, Texas - which I plan to do this Saturday - stop by a local grocery store and pick up a case of Dublin Dr Pepper. It's made at the Dr Pepper factory in nearby Dublin, Texas, which is the only Dr Pepper bottler that still uses Imperial Sugar instead of artificial sweetner. You can definitely taste the difference.
4. No trip to Canyon, Texas, is complete without popping into the local United Supermarket to purchase a few jars of Tascosa Hot Sauce. It's a local brand made in nearby Amarillo. I prefer the 'Extra Hot' version and I prefer it on everything. So good you can drink it out of the jar. Trust me, I tried it once.
5. I mentioned this in a recent post, but you've gotta stop by Sevi's when in Wichita Falls, Texas. Bring your appetite. These burritos aren't for sissies. And if you've got it in you, take the ol' Stan Challenge and try for two.
Always buy peanuts when in Portales, N.M.... Eat a Johnnie's No. 1 burger with cheese every time you're in Edmond, Okla.... And jog by Joe Allen's for barbecue in Abilene.
I could go on for hours.
Instead, I think I'll head to the car for a little late-night driving.

1 Comments:
He's not kidding either readers....this is truly his menu on the road!
Post a Comment
<< Home