Friday, September 26, 2008

Happiness comes wrapped in a tortilla

Okay, so it's late at night and I can't sleep. I'll give you three guesses as to why.

Guess number one, you say, is that I'm stoked about having just watched Oregon State pull off a stunning 27-21 upset of top-ranked USC. I gotta admit, that has me pretty pumped. It was the Trojans' first loss to an unranked team since 1981. I was seven years old then. And, for a moment, the wife might have thought I was seven years old tonight the way I was carrying on and yelling at the TV! USC is easy to hate, plus I'm still mad at the Pac-10 about the OU-Oregon debacle in 2006.

Your second guess is that I'm anxious to get to Oklahoma, to see family, to celebrate my cousin Maston's wedding, and of course to watch the beloved Sooners stomp TCU. Another stellar guess. It's true that I'm looking forward to Friday's departure for the homeland, and certainly I'm ready for a little tailgating and Gary Patterson hating. Patterson, by the way, is the TCU football coach, who annoys me with his yearly 'woe is me, nobody respects the Horned Frogs' song and dance.

Last but not least, your third guess is that I miss me some Sevi's.

Ding, ding, ding!

(Voice comes over the loud speaker) "Your attention ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner!!"

Sevi's is a burrito shop in Wichita Falls, Texas, where I lived from 1996 to 2000 and visited this past weekend. I'm not sure exactly what it is that makes Sevi's my favorite place to eat a burrito, but it absolutely is.

It might be the tasty ingredients that I regularly choose: shredded beef, fried potatoes, brown beans and grated cheddar cheese. Maybe it's the two kinds of fresh salsa that I pour on top, or the homemade tortilla that holds it all together.

Or, the reason could be something entirely different.

You see, I like the challenge of trying to eat two full burritos. And I like how my buddy Craig spends the remainder of the day telling the whole town whether or not I succeeded. It's a running joke that started one morning when I boasted to our waitress that I could take down two of the tortilla-wrapped titans. I failed miserably, and Craig's never let me forget. So I've given it the good ol' college try on just about every visit since.

I'm happy to report that I conquered two this past Saturday. Though, honestly, I'm wishing I had saved one for now. What a midnight snack that would be!

5 Comments:

At September 26, 2008 at 7:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stan, Stan, Stan... I'm wondering why your wife didn't tell me that you used to live in The Falls (my hubby's from there), even more than that, I'm wondering why this is the first time I'm hearing of this burrito!! We were JUST in the Falls on Sunday - I could have gone for a good burrito... but alas as usual, I'm the last one to find out about all the good stuff! :-)

 
At September 26, 2008 at 8:27 AM, Blogger Jill said...

How many calories are in one burrito? You need to have Craig check on this. Those things are gigantic.

You won the challenge = You got sick = phone call, "Hey sweetie, I think I'm just going to stay the night and come back tomorrow morning. I don't feel well." I knew it!!

 
At September 26, 2008 at 9:00 AM, Blogger Stan W said...

wordy - Tell Ray to get with the program. Sevi's is the real deal.

jill - Whatever. You can't get pink eye from a burrito.

 
At September 26, 2008 at 2:22 PM, Blogger Tracy said...

Helloooo!? I'm from Wichita Falls. Why is it I don't know about this place! Where is it?

 
At September 30, 2008 at 12:37 AM, Blogger Stan W said...

I think it's on 9th Street, just southwest of the hospital. Been serving up WF's best burritos since 1981.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home