An old friend is back
Welcome back, college football. Why'd you stay away so long?
Went to Missouri last weekend to witness my first college football game of the new season. The Division II contest was between teams ranked #3 and #8 nationally in preseason polls. I got to see this one from the sidelines, which made it all the more exciting.
The team I was following averaged 49 points per game last year and has back their QB, RB and top two WRs. After falling behing 21-7 in the first quarter, my team reeled off 30 consecutive points and ended the game on an improbable 36-7 run to win 44-27. The outcome was disappointing to a stadium full of home team fans, but it was a long-time coming for all those who follow my conference.
The home team had played seven teams from my conference since 1994 without losing. They'd not only ruled our conference in the last decade, but also their own conference and just about everyone else while establishing themselves as an elite Division II program. They won national titles in 1998 and '99 before runner-up showings in 2005, '06 and '07.
It was the first time I'd seen the national powerhouse team in-person in a few years. While I think they will remain a powerful team this year, I think there's at least three teams of similar caliber this year in the conference I follow. Not sure if anyone outside of these parts would agree with that take, but everyone around here knows what the top three teams in this conference are capable of doing. The "big three" in my conference are on the cusp of something big. At least that's what I took from Saturday's win.
We're one week into the new season, and I'm already considering conference title scenarios and pondering playoff possibilities. That's just what happens when a good friend comes around.

1 Comments:
Your friend....you had me fooled. I had no idea who you were talking about. LOL!
Post a Comment
<< Home